Consultant Clinical Scientist
Birmingham Heartlands Hospital
I'm clinical lead for Biochemistry and Blood Sciences and I am responsible for R&D in the department of Biochemistry and Immunology and I have developed a number of projects utilising LC/MSMS, including, “LCMSMS methods for catecholamine metabolites”, “measurement of drugs of abuse”, “25-OH Vitamin D”, “8-Isoprostane”, “Vitamins A and E” and “Prednisolone and other steroids”
I have a wide-ranging technical background with major interests in HPLC, mass spectrometry, capillary electrophoresis and information technology. I can get by in objective-c, ruby and html/css. You can see some of my work on github at https://github.com/cwebster/ and I have an app on the app store for calculating sigma values for clinical assays https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/assay-specification-six-sigma/id672408581?mt=8
I have supervised 6 students for the research component of their MSc and have gained grants for the study of glycated proteins in diabetes, hepcidin measurements in haemochromatosis, lab to lab communication and e-learning.
- Waldron J, Webster C. Liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for the measurement of serum mevalonic acid: a novel marker of hydroxymethylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibition by statins. Ann Clin Biochem. 2011 May;48(Pt 3):223–232.
- Marrington R, Johnston J, Knowles S, Webster C. Measurement of urinary metadrenaline and normetadrenaline by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry for the diagnosis of phaeochromocytoma. Ann Clin Biochem. 2010 Sep.;47(Pt 5):467–475.
- Sulaiman et al. Ethnic differences in umbilical cord blood vitamin D and parathyroid hormone – South Asians compared to Whites born in the UK. Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine (0) vol. 0 (0) pp. 1-3
- Development of an ID-MS method for measurement of pentosidine, an advanced glycosylation end-product, ACB Focus 2008
- Development of an acid hydrolysis method for the quantification of total urinary opiates by LC-MS/MS., ACB Focus 2008
- Development of a Liquid Chromatography- Tandem Mass Spectrometry method for measuring Urinary Free Cortisol and comparison with two different cortisol immunoassays, ACB Focus 2008